Here at Covered Goods® we’re big proponents of keeping mama and baby as healthy as possible—whatever feeding option you decide (or are able to) pursue. The process is personal, and you should always look to your doctor for support and advice! That being said, we know a lot of our fans are breastfeeding moms; women who choose Covered Goods® so they can easily nurse in public. So, in honor of all of you, we came of up with a list of our favorite reasons to breastfeed your little. Here are the top 10 reasons we think breastfeeding is awesome.
1. Breastfeeding Helps You Heal. Nursing can help shrink your uterus back to pre-pregnancy size.
2. Mothers Who Breastfeed Get More Sleep. You may not feel like you do, but studies show that moms who breastfeed get an average of 40-45 minutes more sleep a night (than moms who formula feed).
3. Your Breastmilk is Unique to You, and Your Baby Knows It! At birth your baby can smell breastmilk, and by two weeks old she can tell the difference between your milk and another mother’s.
4. Breastfed Babies Don’t Get Sick as Often. By breastfeeding you’re reducing the risk of ear infections and diarrhea in your baby.
5. Breastfeeding Saves Money. Formula can get expensive, but your milk is free! By nursing you can save between $1,200 and $1,500 a year.
6. Your Breastmilk Changes as Your Baby Grows. The milk you produce changes as your baby grows, to make sure she’s receiving exactly what she needs (the milk you make for a newborn has a different nutritional profile than that for an 8 month old).
7. Breastfeeding is an Amazing Way to Bond With Your Baby. Babies are nearsighted—they can only see things 8-15 inches away. That’s about the distance you are from her when you breastfeed. What does this mean? She’s able to see you up close and personal—making for a pretty incredible connection.
8. Breastfeeding Can Make You Feel Amazing! La Leche League International says that breastfeeding releases the hormone oxytocin from your pituitary gland—this can relax both you and your baby.
9. Breastfeeding Can Help You Get Back Into Your Pre-pregnancy Jeans. It takes energy to produce all that milk! Breastfeeding can help you burn between 300 and 500 extra calories a day.
10. You Can Breastfeed Anywhere. Literally, anywhere. If you follow us on Instagram and Facebook, you’ve seen some of the cool places our mamas nurse their babies. If you’ve got your Covered Goods®, you can nurse anywhere—from the pool, to the beach, to the shopping mall.
9 months and still breastfeeding my chunky boy. So thankful I'm able to nurse on demand no matter where we are thanks to my amazing @coveredgoods You name the place, I've nursed there. Beach, mall, restaurants, church, car dealership, target, grocery store, and that's to name a few. #coveredgoods #coveredgoodsaroundtheworld #clearwaterbeach
Do you have anything to add? We’d love to hear from you. And keep in mind that nursing has a big learning curve—you’re not expected to be perfect at it from the moment your baby is born (regardless of what people tell you). If you’re struggling with breastfeeding, a lactation consultant can provide the help you need. If you need a sympathetic ear, look to friends, family, and even the Internet for support. 87% of women now rely on the Internet and social media for breastfeeding help and advice, and research shows that these women are more likely to breastfeed for longer because of the support they find there. You’re certainly not doing this motherhood thing alone—the Covered Goods® social media community is a great place to start. We’ve got a fantastic group of moms who love to lift each other up.
And for all the mamas who don’t breastfeed, don’t forget that each Covered Goods® four-in-one cover can be used in multiple ways—not only as a nursing cover, but also as a shopping cart cover, car seat cover, and infinity scarf. It’s the perfect product for any parent! Check out our beautiful, year-round and seasonal patterns here.